Virginia Key Beach, once accessible only by boat, was established in 1945, as the only public beach for the “exclusive use of Negroes” in Dade County. In 1982 the City of Miami closed the park and it remained shuttered until the Grand Re-Opening in 2008 when local citizens formed the Virginia Key Beach Park Task Force in response to plans for private development of the property. In 2002, Historic Virginia Key Beach Park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Come visit our beautifully renovated venues which celebrate the distinct cultural, recreational and ecological past of this tropical paradise.
Wallpaper design is taken from an early era visitor’s diary